Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The 3rd Semi-Annual Cutting of the Curls


I don't get hair cuts in Asia.  It is one of the problems with having curly hair. (The other problems are in order: fending off overly aggressive women, keeping a hat on my head, and being mistaken for Bill Walton or Napoleon Dynamite).

When I first moved overseas, my hair was pretty out of control.  Stupidly, I did not get it cut before leaving for Korea.  I could have let it grow longer, but I wanted to look professional for the first day of school.

With that in mind, I walked to what appeared to be a reputable hair salon.  I quickly knew I was in trouble.  After getting me in the chair and giggling with the other ladies in the shop, my 'stylist' scrunched my hair and said, "Perm?"

"Ha.  No. Ha," I responded nervously. "It's natural."

"Oh, natural perm."

Uh oh.  Needless to say, this was not my best haircut.  That was the last haircut I paid for in Asia.  Basically, I get one or two cuts in the summer and then let it grow to ridiculous afro proportions during the year.  At some point, I get tired of it and shave it all off.  The two years I lived in Korea, the school did a fundraiser for mission trips to let a kid shave my head in the style of their choice. (The First Semi-Annual)  After a one year hiatus, we decided to bring it back this year.  All proceeds from the fund raiser go to a school in Laos.  As part of the deal, I have to keep this 'do for a week.

Ready to go.

Anticipation building.


Now we're having fun.



Becky might be enjoying this a little too much.

Some of the damage.


This is the kid that won.  He was too scared to actually cut my hair, so he asked Becky to do it for him.  He directed Becky (who is photo-bombing this picture).

So what did the administration think of this?  I'll let them speak for themselves.

Mr. Mike - Principal and inspiration.

Ms. Sue - Asst. Principal

How did Becky do?  What would you have done?

2 comments:

  1. I would have cut it like Side Show Bob or Side Show Mel Style. Some day I want to be there to help rev up the crowd. Gig'em Aggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part is the look on the admin's faces!! Especially Sue. What, no mention of the sacredness of heads in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete